Christian Doulas

Forums

Forum Home > Doula Talk > Is it necessary?

ejbriggson

Hey guys, I just registered here today and have recently been feeling called to become a Doula.  I am a soon-to-be senior at Cornerstone University studying Family Studies.

I was wondering what everyone's take was on becoming a Doula having never been through the birthing experience.

I plan to marry my boyfriend within a couple years but do not plan on becoming a mother within the next five years.  My passion for pregnancy and birth started 2 summers ago when I lived with my sister for a little over 5 months during her last trimester and the first few months of my niece's life.  I became so captivated by pregnancy and birth, what an amazing gift!

My boyfriend and I were contemplating taking a year off of school after we graduate and I thought this would be the perfect time to start my Doula traning (though I have no idea how or where to start this either, so I may need help with that too!)

My fear is that if I attempt to help and support women through their pregnancy and birth they may not feel totally empathized with as I have never been through the birthing experience myself.  What do you guys think about this?

-Emily

March 25, 2011 at 12:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

christiandoula
Site Owner

ejbriggson at March 25, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Hey guys, I just registered here today and have recently been feeling called to become a Doula.  I am a soon-to-be senior at Cornerstone University studying Family Studies.

I was wondering what everyone's take was on becoming a Doula having never been through the birthing experience.

I plan to marry my boyfriend within a couple years but do not plan on becoming a mother within the next five years.  My passion for pregnancy and birth started 2 summers ago when I lived with my sister for a little over 5 months during her last trimester and the first few months of my niece's life.  I became so captivated by pregnancy and birth, what an amazing gift!

My boyfriend and I were contemplating taking a year off of school after we graduate and I thought this would be the perfect time to start my Doula traning (though I have no idea how or where to start this either, so I may need help with that too!)

My fear is that if I attempt to help and support women through their pregnancy and birth they may not feel totally empathized with as I have never been through the birthing experience myself.  What do you guys think about this?

-Emily

Hi Emily,

I find that lots of women do want a doula who has experienced birth, but are mainly looking for the chemistry that clicks with them and another woman. Training to be a doula is not the sort of investment that, say, becoming a midwife or an OB would be, in terms of both time and money. I think all single girls who are looking to marry and eventually give birth would benefit from the training, and from the opportunity to be with other women throughout labor and delivery. May God bless you! ~Barbara

April 15, 2011 at 11:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Emily

ejbriggson at March 25, 2011 at 12:43 PM

-Emily

Hi Emily!  (I like your name) :)

Many women do prefer a doula with personal experience of giving birth.  However, not everyone cares, and I know of some truly excellent doulas who are not themselves mothers.  If this is your passion, then follow it, and see where you end up!  I also agree with the other responder: doula training will be great for YOU if/when you give birth yourself.

I trained with Childbirth International.  Some things I liked about it:

tests are all online

you can work at your own pace

the training manuals are extensive and cover some topics that other programs don't

your certification never expires

Other organizations you can look into: DONA, CAPPA, Alace, Birthing From Within, Hypnobabies.

Good luck!

Emily

--

Emily Moothart, HCHD, CD(CBI)

www.crowningachievementsdoula.com

562-905-2049

August 21, 2011 at 7:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Contact Me

Christian Doula

[email protected]

Upcoming Events