Christian Doulas

Forums

Forum Home > Doula Talk > Help finding clients!

Angela Diehl

Hi I am a doula from a small town. Very few people in my town have ever heard of what a doula is, let alone understand why they would want to hire one to attend their birth. A fellow doula and I have joined together and started up a business. My question is has anyone ever been the first doula in your area and how did you manage to get the word out about who you were and what doulas do? We have signed up for so many blogs, doula sites, and handed out brochures. We have not been able to find clients. Any advice? Thanks so much!

Angie

wmddoulas.webs.com

January 26, 2010 at 8:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kim

Angela Diehl at 08:41PM on Jan 26, 2010

Hi I am a doula from a small town. Very few people in my town have ever heard of what a doula is, let alone understand why they would want to hire one to attend their birth. A fellow doula and I have joined together and started up a business. My question is has anyone ever been the first doula in your area and how did you manage to get the word out about who you were and what doulas do? We have signed up for so many blogs, doula sites, and handed out brochures. We have not been able to find clients. Any advice? Thanks so much!

Angie

wmddoulas.webs.com

Hi Angela,

One of the best ways to get yourselves known is to be involved the childbirth education community in your area. Speak to the teachers, offer to give a talk for each session, give them handouts to share with their students, and once you have the first client word of mouth starts to work as well.

Another way you might get known is to get to know the nurses on the OB floor. Maybe you can do a few births for free to get yourselves known on the floor. You can also get to know the OBs and midwives. Have a brochure or hanout made up so that they understand what it is you do and how it helps... a few statistics are good as well. It may take a while to get known, but once you have a few births under your belt I am betting word of mouth will be one of the best things.

One last thought... be sure you have set prices that are not only commensurate with your skills, but with your community's income level... someone in downtown Chicago might well charge $750 a birth while a rural IN doula might have to charge $250. In th past I used a sliding scale... I gave a flat rate for the first 12 hours, and then charged an hourly rate over that. (It meant that if the birth went over 12 hours I didn't receive my full payment in advance, but I have not yet had anyone fail to pay.)

I hope that's a help. It's a wonderful calling!
Blessings, Kim

--

"...remember that you are a woman, and that this work of God in you is pleasing to him. Trust joyfully in his will, and let him have his way with you." ~Martin Luther from Luther's 1522 Sermon called, "The Estate of Marriage"

February 9, 2010 at 9:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Martha Whitcher

Angela Diehl at 08:41PM on Jan 26, 2010

Angie

wmddoulas.webs.com

Hi Angela,

I have a couple of ideas that might help you.

-Contact the local Bradley teachers.

-Contact the hospital's childbirth teachers. With the hospital teachers you might tell them you are a labor coach. This may seem more "hospital friendly" to them and help them understand how you can help them.

-Some people have good luck with newspaper articles, maybe on the business page.

-Leave your card or brochures at family doctors offices, chiropractors, ect. Bring your own card holder(Go to Vistaprints for cheap business cards/brochures).

Besides that I would say follow-up!

When someone does contact you, meet with them. Also sending out a satisfaction survey after the birth might be good. If they say they would recommend you to friends, send them a couple of your cards.

One other thing that has worked in our area is some midwifery students started a group called Barefoot Mommas. They meet once a month and talk about any natural health related topic. They have had someone come that does the henna painting on the hands or the belly casting. You want to have a really interesting topic to get people to come. Even if you don't have someone to demonstrate, you could still have the information.

Good luck.

Martha

--
March 15, 2010 at 9:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

blessingsofbirth

I have been in the similar boat.  I live in a small town and am one of the first doulas here (I'm a pioneer!).  I have tried for several months to advertise and get my name out in the community.  Unfortunately, the hospital in my area doesn't know much about doula support, nor do they seem to be excited to see me.  My goal is to let them see me at work.  I had one nurse mention that she really enjoyed working with me and hoped to see me again.  That is what I want to leave them with.  Let them remember you by making that great impression.  I am just beginning myself, but my name has already been spreading at the hospital and other areas in town.  Also, I did an ASK A DOULA workshop at the local center where childbirth classes are available.  I sent out newsletters to birth professionals in the area as well as advertised on the city calendar for parents to join in the free workshop.  I discussed what it is that I do and how I can help the community.  I haven't had the response that I wanted, but at least I made the time available for those who were interested. 

I hope that this helps and I am thankful for the great ideas from the rest of you.  Keep up hope.

Tina

April 20, 2010 at 3:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Contact Me

Christian Doula

[email protected]

Upcoming Events

No upcoming events

Recent Videos

2528 views - 0 comments
2941 views - 0 comments
2204 views - 0 comments